Back to the CWOW Home Page

an Affiliate of American Christian Fiction Writers

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What are your writing goals for 2014?

It's the 29th of January.
Have you set any writing goals for 2014?

I'm not big on New Years Resolutions because usually by the time I get to this point in January, I've already lost my drive and my resolutions are falling by the wayside. Only a month in and already I'm feeling defeated, but not this year!

In fact, not for the past couple of years, because instead of setting New Years Resolutions, I spend the time between Christmas and New Years seeking God for vision and guidance for the coming year. Once I have His perspective on the near future, I can set some attainable goals and map out a path to get me there.

One area in which I set goals is with my writing. I understand that it's a gift God has given me - the ability to communicate, encourage and entertain while underscoring God's truths. I know that I want to be a good steward of everything He's given me, so being intentional with my writing honors Him.

Here are some tips on goal setting...

  1. Pray first - it's pointless to set goals without first asking God for His guidance. After all, you don't want to try to go somewhere that God is not leading. Ask him about direction for your writing; fiction, non-fiction, devotionals, short stories, novels, poetry, etc.
  2. Set realistic goals - leaving room for God do do more than you can think or imagine.  We don't want to limit God.
  3. Map out a plan - step-by-step, specific mini goals that will lead you to the completion of your big goal.
  4. Be consistent - work those steps to your goal, press on, steady on the path that leads to success, continuing to pray as you go.
  5. Celebrate - each mini goal reached is cause for celebration, a time of rejoicing with the Lord that He is leading in the direction He wants you to go, to bring Him glory.
 So, how about you?
Have you set any writing goals for 2014?

We'd love to hear about them.
Leave a comment and share your 2014 writing goals.

1 comment:

  1. Very sensible. By this time in the new year, if we've already set goals, we're either on our way - or we may have failed. :( But your suggestions are perfect. Especially 'Pray first'. Step-by-step mini-goals. (Love that.) And be consistent. Work at it. Then give yourself a woo-hoo! (My computer does NOT want me to type that! These are principles I've used before and the outcome is - I accomplish more than I would have without a plan - even if I don't quite meet the actual goal. And that's something I'm happy to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete